I put together a new Kontakt instrument today; a real ecclesiastical, gloomy, droning belter of a patch, based on a sampling of 4 piano strings. C1, C2, C3 and C4.
Taking my lead from Christian Henson’s fantastic Piano Book project, I took the samples, cut off their heads, extended the tail, extended the tail further with a reversed capture of the WAV and a little filtering which was crossfaded into the original sample. A 20 second reverb tail completed the drone layer.
I added attack, hold, delay, sustain and release scripting – but I can’t envisage them needing to shift much from the default.
As an additional texture I also saved a version with an additional layer of an older instrument I made; Breathing Glass.